Critical Mass under repression
by u-lock justice! Friday, Mar. 31, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Police up the harrassment against bicyclists. citations and general intimidation.

Critical Mass under ...
1.jpg, image/jpeg, 800x594

Critical Mass (Monthly bike ride to show alternative forms of transportation) came under state repression this Friday, March 31st around 6:45pm in east liberty when Officer Eugene H. Hlavac badge #3327 of zone 5 (pictured below) dangerously drove threw the mass of bicyclists in an attempt to disperse and arrest those who peacefully rode on this beautifully rainy day.

There were at least 5 confirmed citations issued for various ridiculous charges ranging from Disorderly Conduct, to failure to disperse.

One minor who was trying to cross the street and not a part of critical mass was "sent downtown".

At least two individuals fled police custody before giving their name.

The events that transpired today look like the continued state repression against dissent. In the past months activists have seen increased police presence at events.

-----------------------------------
live free.
stand strong.
ride 'til you die!
(A)(E)(N)

calling for backup
by u-lock justice! Friday, Mar. 31, 2006 at 9:03 PM

calling for backup...
2.jpg, image/jpeg, 800x594

yelling at others for id
by u-lock justice! Friday, Mar. 31, 2006 at 9:03 PM

yelling at others fo...
3.jpg, image/jpeg, 800x594

knife lost?
by knifeless person Friday, Mar. 31, 2006 at 9:43 PM
radicalizepgh@yahoo.com

If anyone found or was given a gerber knife I would really appreciate it if I could have it back. email me. thank you.

meeting to file complaints of inappropriate police behavior
by jb Friday, Mar. 31, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Witnesses, and other interested parties, are invited to meet at 8pm on Monday, April 3, at the Big Idea Bookstore, 504 South Millvale. We can fill out Citizens Police Review Board complaints.

Citizens Police Review Board
by Sarah Saturday, Apr. 01, 2006 at 12:44 AM

I thought this link may be useful for witnesses/third parties wishing to file a complaint independently:

We should try to flood their mailbox with complaints.

Share your CM arrest story
by Brubaker Saturday, Apr. 01, 2006 at 7:49 AM
njbrubaker@gmail.com

I've started a blog with my own arrest experience at this Critical Mass and I want to encourage anyone else who was arrested to send me their story as well. Bystanders are also welcome to submit their accounts, essays or whatever. Please send them to njbrubaker@gmail.com and I'll post them this blog.

U LOCK JUSTICE
by pgh anarchist Saturday, Apr. 01, 2006 at 2:45 PM

412 HOLDS SHIT DOWN BETTER THAN THIS

I'LL THRASH YOU I'LL BASH YOU
I'LL KICK IN YOUR DOORS, BREAK OUT YOUR WINDOWS AND SCRATCH UP YOUR PAINT!

gerber found!
by person with a knife Saturday, Apr. 01, 2006 at 5:12 PM

my knife has been returned. yay.

BALLS.
by thankyouverymuchshitheadpig Monday, Apr. 03, 2006 at 10:48 PM

did we miss the memo that throwing cigarettes at people is cool?
ill try harder next time to remind the officer that littering is, in fact, illegal.

COPS DOING ILLEGAL THINGS??!?!
[go figure.]

Arrests blog link
by Brubaker Tuesday, Apr. 04, 2006 at 3:43 AM

Here's the address of the blog I started about the Critical Mass arrests of last Friday. Feel free to share your story.

WQED OnQ
by Angie Wednesday, Apr. 12, 2006 at 12:00 AM
angiemareino@yahoo.com

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that our intern piece on Critical Mass is scheduled to air on WQED (PBS) Tuesday, April 18th at 7:30 p.m. during the OnQ Magazine program. Let us know what you think!

Angie.

Bull Shit
by Samanza Smart Friday, Apr. 21, 2006 at 12:02 PM
SassySammy10298

I let my dog out to go to the bathroom on his chain and someone let him off then the cops came by and didn't bother letting us know. He just decided to dart him in my own yard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cops are assholes and deserve to be punished for their wrong doings.

thanks alot jerks
by aaaa Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 1:55 AM

Thanks for making things harder for bikers all over. Drivers are not going to see you jerks being idiots, and then will take it out on other bikers. I am tired of car drivers yelling at me because you jerks have pissed them off. thanks for making bike on the road more dangerous.

relax
by traffic retort Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 10:52 AM

wow, "blame the victim" again. look, don't be mad because some bike riders are willing to assert themselves on the road. we ride daily and use our numbers to achieve the safety we can't achieve alone. the recreational weekend warrior bikers often can't understand this.

if you think critical mass is responsible for aggressive drivers, maybe you should consider wearing a helmet before your brain is damaged any further. (that is, if you actually do ride on the streets, and aren't the troll that you appear to be)

the people in critical mass are not the victums
by aaaa Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 6:26 PM

As to you questioning if I do really bike in traffic, yes I so, just try 5th during the morning rush and forbes in the after rush. Yes I do bike in traffic. But read the laws of PA, if you did you will find they way critical mass rides is breaking the law, you may not ride more then 2 abreast, must stay in the right lane, unless passing, unsafe, or executing a left hand turn, you must obey the lights, and signs. There is no way you can block all of Forbes Av if you were obeying the laws.

Maybe I can give some ways you can advicate biking
by aaaa Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Here are things you can use to help advicate biking over driveing,

You can go after the price of gas. the average person will spend about $2400 on gas if they drive to work, 2.4K is alot of money. Maybe with the money argument you can talk them out of owning a car, I sat down on day to figure out how much a car would cost a year if you got one, and I found it to be between 6k and 9K a year, I can think of a whole lot of other things I would rather have, and those numbers are sure to rise with gas prices.

If you pick where you live wisly, you can save time by biking, for me I bike from my place in Oakland to Downtown for work every day, it takes me 15 minutes, but if I was to drive it (during rush hour when I go) it would take 30 to 45 minutes, I save between 30 to 60 minutes a day by biking, then I save even more since I don't have to go to a gym to work out to stay healthy.

Show people how they can save both money and time with a bike, I don't think you will get people to go car free, but you might get some people to bike to work some days, and they probably would be more considerate to bikers, I have gotten some people where I work to start to bike to work (during "good" weather) and some others thinking about it.

critical mass is unsafe
by former rider Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 7:04 PM

I'm tired of all the coverage this critical mass arrest is getting. While I'm sure the cops were wrong, I've rid in critical mass before and some of the bikers do really messed up stuff - like weaving in and out of opposite lane traffic in front of oncoming cars. One guy got hit by an SUV, and it was completely his own fault. I thought he should get kicked out, but apparently the organizers of Critical Mass tolerate endangering the lives of everyone by not abiding by basic safety rules. As such I don't have much sympathy when they get arrested (or any of the bike punks who routinely break traffic laws), and I won't be riding in critical mass again.

former rider has a point
by aaaa Monday, Apr. 24, 2006 at 7:21 PM

The guy who cut off that SUV driver (in former rider's post) hurt bikers, I bet you that, that SUV driver hates bikers now, he now has higher insurance rates, and has to deal with fixing his car, do you think he is going to car what happens to bikers, I bet he rather see bikers hit (by other drivers) how does that help us.

Which SUV assault?
by Officer Down Tuesday, Apr. 25, 2006 at 10:30 AM

How do you get a job posting disinformation condemning critical mass and praising the expensive blooper reel that is the FBI?
No one got hit at critical mass.

good question
by blump Monday, Jun. 26, 2006 at 10:57 AM

I always myself wonder if it is a job, or actually just random scornful folks with nothing better to do posting when I read the comment boards.