Protestor Arraigned
by ... Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 12:50 PM

First of 4 protesters arraigned today.

The first of 4 protesters was arraigned today at Allegheny County Jail. He is charged with Rioting to Prevent Official Action, a 3rd Degree Felony, Disorderly Conduct, Resisting Arrest, and Failure to Disperse. The judge mentioned being sympathetic to Free Speech rights and set the minimum possible bail, 10% of $1000.

More to follow!

bail versus bond
by dp Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 1:01 PM

Just to clarify- the bail is being set at $1,000, yes?

Bail is the amount that has to be posted to go free. It is (supposed to be) returned when the person appears on their court date. Alternatively, you can pay 10% of the bail to a bondsman (who will put the whole amount up), but they take that 10% as their fee and you don't get it back.

1983 USC
by chickenshit pigs Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 3:55 PM

I sure do hope there is some good lawyers familiar with 1983 USC in Pittsburgh, the civil rights code which allows individuals to sue the pigs for civil rights violations. Bringing out a dog for a protest like this. Oh poor fat overpaid pigs can't pick up a few protesters. This sure does prove the point that the facists aren't only in Cuba hiding behind the inside 911 job, but in select cities throughout the US. I mean come you fucking lazy ass pigs, a dog for a person sitting on the ground, allowing it to bite a grey haired grandmother. Your a bunch of chickenshit ninnies. You had the chance to stand in the higher position by peacefully arresting those who might have done something wrong, but now you went overboard and will cost the taxpayer hundred of thousands of dollar for civil suits cause ya got a whee bit overzealous. Bald headed pig who tasered the woman on the ground, I'd hate to see what you do with someone high on meth or crack, probably gotten your ass kicked a time or two and needed to take it out on her. That's right, your a coward.

10% of $1000 is $100
by Pier 57 survivor Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 4:45 PM

I think we should be able to raise $100.

Let's take up a collection and get him out. Now!

in touch with and excellent 1983 Lawyer
by just greg Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 5:33 PM
just_greg@riseup.net

If anyone needs to speak to a really dedicated 1983 lawyer, I am in contact and have worked with one of the best, Richard Olivito, he hails from the Warren, Youngstown area and has done some great work with police brutality victims in the Stubenville, and Warren communities, He is currently working on a Police shooting death case in Mineapolis, but I am sure that he would at least consult on the issues here. He is most well known as the dedicated lawyer who single handedly brought down the Stubenville chief of police and forced the justice department to liquidate their police department because of the corruption there (incidently he was also the target of a late night sniper because of that). He is also responsible for exposing the rampant police brutality problem in Warren OH, a city which because of him is now currently under Justice Department investigation, with the possibility of the same sort of outcome as Stubenville. Finally, it seems as if poor policing (to say the least) is an issue in you folx neck of the woods, if this is the case and someone local is interested, Kent Anti-Racist Action is also in contact with the Justice Department (keeping tabs on the progress of the Warren investigation), and would be more than happy to pass on any contacts, info and knowledge we have gained in oour process.
Contact me via email for more info just_greg@ riseup.net or alternately, imjustgreg@gmail.com.
Insolidarity, just greg

1983 follow up
by just greg Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 6:02 PM
just_greg@riseup.net

Sorry folx, just forgot to add this in my last post, don't mean to make it seem like i'm advertising for Mr.Olivito, but I have real faith in him and his dedication. Here are 2 links to the Cleveland Scene article about Warren.
solid, just greg

Bail
by .. Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 7:18 PM

No, the judge set the bail at 10% of $1000, which means he paid the court itself $130 ($30 for court fees) and then they let him out. When he returns for his trial, he'll get the money back.

Update
by A. Wob Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 at 8:57 PM

All those arrested have been arraigned and are out, either ROR or with bail payments ranging from $100-300. There was only one felony charge, of riot, filed against one of the arrestees. Others were simply hit with up to six misdemeanors. At least the cops didn't claim someone's chin hit them in the hand. Thanks to all the groups and individuals offering support.

If the judge was sympathetic
by Samantha Monday, Aug. 22, 2005 at 12:12 PM

If the judge was sympathetic to free speech, he would have thrown the case out.

Can't throw it out
by Narc Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2005 at 8:11 PM

If this was just a bail hearing, I don't think the judge could have thrown out the case even if he wanted to. I don't think that's the correct venue for a lawyer to motion for the dismissal of charges.

Cant dismiss a case based on feelings.
by Rembrandt Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2005 at 9:03 PM

"If the judge was sympathetic to free speech, he would have thrown the case out."

A judge cant dismiss a case based on personal feelings, especially when there is evidance of law-breaking.

End of the day, this guy chose to break the law, no amount of sympothy is going to change that.

Maybe during the next 'peaceful' protest, they won't start beating up the news media that was trying to HELP them.

How can you pay bail when you don't work?
by Janus Christ Ashley Thursday, Aug. 25, 2005 at 8:53 PM

How do you pseudo-terrorist SOBs plan to pay bail when you don't work? Or are you gonna pay it with SSI or Welfare or someother payment from the government that you claim to despise yet can't seem to live without?

Why did ever waste my time siding with you morons?

The real question is...
by just another filthy rebel Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005 at 5:54 PM
distortedcollective@hotmail.com

why don't you side with us anymore? Think about it, does it make any sense that EVERY activist, or even something remotely resembling a majority of activists, is on welfare?! Welfare doesn't even give enough money to keep a roof over your head or food on the table, and, well, after Clinton killed welfare in the late 90's it's pretty hard to GET welfare these days.

No offense, but you seem to have more than just a political vendetta against us. This seems all-too-personal. What happened, if you don't mind me asking. If you feel uncofortable talking about it over this forumn, which, I guess would be an off-topic tangent, you can send me an email.
I just want to help, so let me know if I should just fuck off and leave you alone.

Why I kick ass
by Janus Christ Friday, Sep. 02, 2005 at 6:12 AM

"why don't you side with us anymore? Think about it, does it make any sense that EVERY activist, or even something remotely resembling a majority of activists, is on welfare?!"

Of course not "every" activist is on welfare, the same way not every black person is a criminal or every college professor is a liberal. People get hit with stereotypes because there are people that fit those stereotypes and when you meet people that are so stereotypical you can't help but almost take it as fact.

I'm not a leftist anymore because I realized what I was: a confused kid that just wanted to belong to something. But to be honest, I'm no more of a leftist that I am a rightist because those people are just as stereotypical and single minded as well. If someone presents me with an idea or point of view that makes sense, regardless of political spectrum, I'll adopt it as part on my own belief system.

"No offense, but you seem to have more than just a political vendetta against us. This seems all-too-personal."

Ask Joe Melba.