Dell Founder Donates to Santorum
by Dan Monday, May. 05, 2003 at 10:12 AM
dprince@hawaii.edu

for Pittsburgh Indymedia Dell Founder Donates to Santorum

Dell Computer founder and chairman has been donating to a bad boy. Apart from giving $585,000 in soft money to the GOP, he donated $1,000 to Rick Santorum's last election campaign.

Let's tell him what we think:
Dell Computer Corporation
One Dell Way
Round Rock, Texas 78682
Email: michael@dell.com

P.S. Another interesting fact about Dell..They are the very same company that makes the zip tie plastic handcuffs that the police love to amputate our hands with.

Ech
by Anon Monday, May. 05, 2003 at 10:40 PM

I hate those handcuffs, they make my hands purple

Damn
by - Monday, May. 05, 2003 at 10:48 PM

If they can't give you carpal tunnel with the keyboard, they try to cut off your hands.

um...
by mike Monday, May. 05, 2003 at 11:49 PM

could you back that statement up with something? anything? Dell's a pretty high tech company, so I can't imagine they also make low-tech plastic restraints for police. I did a search on google and turned up nothing, so until I hear otherwise I call "bullshit."

believe it
by david Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 12:17 AM

i can't vouch for the accuracy of the report about the handcuffs, but i find it entirely plausible. dell may be "high tech", but since they have the largest share of the computer market it stands to reason they have a big need for wire ties. i doubt that dell actually manufactures them, since dell isn't in the business of manufacturing anything (its approach to business is called "virtual integration"). dell makes its money off of strategic buying and re-selling (e.g., all their monitors are made by samsung). furthermore, they are (overwhelmingly) the largest supplier of computer & related goods to law enforcement...

there's certainly no shortage of evil corporations in the world. but dell is right up there with coors, bechtel, chevron-texaco, etc. i've been studying their business model for my thesis, and it frightens me that dell's model, which many say is the business paradigm for the 21st century, is now being applied a wide variety of industries, including health care.

and i have no doubt that dell will profit from the war on iraq. as the us rebuilds iraq into it's version of a "democracy", where do you think all the computers that the reconstruction requires will come from?

ok
by mike Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 12:42 AM

The wire ties Dell buys are probably not anything like what the police use to restrain people. If you're working on a thesis I find it disturbing you make no distinction between "buys wire ties" and "makes plastic handcuffs the police use on innocent protestors." That is inflammatory trolling at its finest.

As for Dell's business model, "strategic buying and re-selling" is hardly something new Dell invented. It's what pretty much all businesses have engaged in throughout history. As for repackaging Samsung monitors, that sort of thing literally goes on all the time. In 1994 I was shopping for a CD-ROM drive for my PC and I had narrowed it down to 3 different brands. After much research I decided to go with the middle priced one. Turns out they were all the same drive made by Sony.

I fail to see what is so terrifying about Dell's business model. Companies exist to buy, repackage, and resell goods and services.

On a slightly more "on topic" note, For Dell to give $1000 to anyone seems more like a slap in the face than a real contribution. That would be like Bill Gates donating $5 to a charity. And so what if he gave 1/2 mil to the GOP, should have have given that to the Dems? Sounds like a good idea, "here, take my money and then screw my business with poor tax laws and over-regulation! Thanks!"

Wire ties and donations
by -- Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 1:38 AM

You've obviously never been handcuffed at a protest. The plastic handcuff ties are very much like cable ties, just a little bigger and thicker.

And $1000 is approaching the legal limit for a donation to a political candidate. Not a slap in the face.

cuffffs
by Evan N Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 7:28 AM

i doubt dell would make them themselves, but perhaps a dell subsidary or a company dell bought out? big companies like that love to buy smaller companies that have nothing to do with their original product, I.E. kraft cheese and michelob beer owned by phillip morris.

re: ok
by david Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 10:08 AM

mike - 1) i have seen both the handcuffs (having been arrested)) and the larger wire ties (having worked in a recording studio). they are identical. 2) you gave a false characterization of my argument. let me be clear: (i) Dell needs wire ties, both large and small. (ii) In its corporate sales (which makes up 80% of Dell's revenue - source: Target vol. 16 no2 2000), Dell sells many computer-related goods as part of a "turn-key" approach to sales & services. (source: public knowledge) some of these goods must be wire ties. (iii) Dell is the largest supplier of computer-related goods (services?) to law enforcement (source: dell annual report 2001) (iv) many companies sell items that are physically identical but function in multiple contexts. (there's a business term for that but i can't remember it right now) (v) if dell is going to sell wire tires to law enforcement for their computer needs (which are huge), then it is plausible that they sell the same commodity to law enforcement to serve another purpose (i.e. handcuffs) again, i'm not making a knock-down drag out argument here - i was simply refuting your claim that dell selling hand cuffs was implausible. 3) you are correct to point out that "strategic buying and reselling" in and of itself is nothing new. however, it is universally acknowledged that Dell's business model is unique in at least four ways: (1) virtual integration; (2) mass customization; (3) volume; (4) profitability in the computer market. a simple google search will yield a wealth of information about dell and its business model. 4) in case you're wondering why any of this is morally significant, ask anyone here what the experience of having wire ties cut off your circulation is like (or get arrested yourself).

by mike Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 10:28 AM

I did not make a false characterization of your argument. I'm merely pointing out that when you said Dell is "the very same company that makes the zip tie plastic handcuffs that the police love to amputate our hands with" you really meant "Dell buys wire ties, and may/may not sell them as part of their business model. It's inflammatory rhetoric. Also, I worked for a company that was a large Dell customer (ie. we purchased probably 200+ PCs each year from them) yet we never bought any zip ties from them. Dell does make a good bit of money selling peripheral goods not directly related to a computer, but most of those are things like mp3 players, speakers, etc. They don't sell a lot of non-technical goods because there's no profit margin on things like that. If I can sell a harddrive for $50 profit or I can sell a zip tie for $0.25 profit I'm going to go with the harddrive. Unless you think Dell sells millions of zip ties every month.

The zip ties police use are more heavy duty and designed differently than any heavy duty ones we could buy are. Of course this is rendered completely moot by the fact that Dell doesn't actually sell the zip ties to police!

It warms my heart....
by Rooney Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 12:59 PM

I doubt that this is true but if so, I couldn't be more proud of Dell. I'm happy that they sell the plastic ties, and wish they would make more of them available for police to use at your marches. Think I'll buy a new laptop to show my support--and I'll donate the plastic wire ties to the cops!

I knew it !
by Biggie Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 1:02 PM

When the Police zip your wrists together they should say, "DUDE ! YOUR GOING TO JAIL ! "

The hated flex cuff
by - Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 7:14 PM

No, Dell doesn't make the hated flex-cuff. The above link leads to the guilty party; Monadnock, a division of Armor Holdings, a huge Republican booster. In August 2001, Armor Holdings acquired O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhardt Armoring Company, the world’s largest armored transport provider, boosting its
2001 earnings to $292 million.
2001 was a year of economic woes for most companies, but not for PMC's (private military companies) such as Armor holdings whose 2002 stock finshed at 31 times its projected value.

Dell's connection to the criminal justice system is their use of prison labor to dismantle old computers exposing inmates, who are exempt from safety standards, to hazardous chemicals such as dioxin and mercury. The strange thing is, they don't use this pprogram to recycle their own machines, which are exceptionally toxic.

Dell prison labor
by ~ Tuesday, May. 06, 2003 at 7:55 PM

Of course you forgot to mention that the prisoners all meet OHSA standards when working for UNICOR (the company who actually does the recycling, Dell just contracts it out to them.) Also, Dell does use this program to recycle their own computers. Your claim that Dell systems are exceptionally toxic shows your basic lack of knowledge of the tech industry (open up a dell system and a gateway system, chances are they're the same system)

Here's Dell's page on the program:

Dell Does, However
by Prodigal Yunzer Wednesday, May. 07, 2003 at 10:55 AM

Make the gas chambers, electric chairs, and lethal injection technology used by "corrections departments". Haha they also put lead in Afro Sheen asa subcontractor of Halliburton. You nutty kids.

cuffs come in a dell box
by Brian Wednesday, May. 07, 2003 at 12:32 PM
artriotmedia@aol.com

They might not directly manufacture the ties, as they also do not directly manufacture their machines(that's also done through Privatized Prison labor), they do however sell them to the police, as can be seen by the large boxes of them in the processing room. Fuck a dell, build a clone, you'll save money.
--brian

The really sad part...
by joe fabeets Thursday, Jun. 12, 2003 at 4:32 PM

The really sad part about all of you is that you think the Dell is wrong for making/selling handcuffs (if it's true at all). Do you fault the makers of traditional handcuffs? They can cause just as much injury as the plastic ones. Surely, the companies that make those must also make some consumer goods you could boycott. No, I guess that just wouldn't be any fun, because those companies aren't big enough to point your finger at and cry "conspiracy!" or "Evil!!".

And, what the hell do you expect the cops to do? Not carry any cuffs? You may not pose a threat to the world and may not need to be cuffed, but I'm happy that the cops have them when they're apprehending some guy who just carjacked me or my family.

Wake up, you jack asses. If you don't like the cops using plastic cuffs on your wrists, then save 'em for your bedroom, and only let your wife put them on you...

Handcuffs
by Jeremy Ronaldson Thursday, Jun. 12, 2003 at 9:53 PM

No, YOU WAKE UP!!!

Everyone knows that stockings are much better handcuffs in the bedroom than plastic handcuffs. Those plastic things leave tell-tale bruises that are hard to explain to Mary Jane Girlfriend's parents when you're visiting their house for Sunday brunch.

Hey,I'm Joe Fabeets
by Joe Fabeets from Cleveland Sunday, Jun. 29, 2003 at 2:30 AM

Hey,
What's a matter you face eh?
you using my name-I slappa you uppa along sida you face and run youa outta town.
Don't come to Cleveland,cuzza people will tell the Fabeets whom yo "R"
Mengia.youza askin for it.

The Fabeets

screen writer
by Gary B.Buckhorn Thursday, Mar. 04, 2004 at 2:25 AM
Bill@fireforeffect.com

why is everyone suddenly using Joe Fabeets name?
Buck