At least 500 March on March 30
by pjd Sunday, Mar. 30, 2003 at 5:32 PM

Local organizers seem to be underestimating our numbers. I attended the march and estimate a much higher number based on the observed length and density of the march.

IMC has reported attendence at the rally and march as 100 to 150, others reported 300 marchers. I believe both of these numbers are low. The corporate media may often underestimate the numbers of attendees at rallys and marches, but we shouldn't be doing it!

I observed a march length of about 600 feet at it's peak, when nearly everyone was in the street. Measuring the observed front and back of the march on a map confirmed the march was at least this long and perhaps as long as 900 feet. Using an estimate of an average density of 1 person per linear foot gives 600 marchers. So, we can put our number as "at least 500" and still be conservative.

Anyone with media contacts should report this number, not the lower numbers. Perhaps the already posted numbers can be revised with the higher estimate?

This may sound nit-picky, but we must not depreciate the movement's strength with attendence numbers that are too low!

math
by Evan N Sunday, Mar. 30, 2003 at 9:24 PM

dude if it was 1 person per linear foot (or square foot is maybe what you are trying to say since we are 3d, but im not a math whiz) then people would be marching on each other, think about it, you take up probably 2-3 feet when you take a footstep

math
by goalie Sunday, Mar. 30, 2003 at 9:35 PM

people walk next to each other evan neu, not in a single file line.

explanation
by pjd Monday, Mar. 31, 2003 at 11:10 AM

When they were in the street, people were walking at least 4-5 abreast, or in echilon, so 1 per linear foot is reasonable. Also, the 600 foot figure is conservative.

I didn't think we needed to explain that.

i know
by Evan N Monday, Mar. 31, 2003 at 7:56 PM

but either way each person has a space bubble around them. if you look at a human body from above, the shoulder width is probably around a foot even more, so unless everyone was standing shoulder i doubt that is accurate. draw a square foot on the floor and try to march in it... it just doesn't work. i'm not trying to heckle... i'm just saying that that estimate doesn't really make sense -

500 march on m30
by red predator 1 Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 8:10 AM
redpredator1@yahoo.com

Watch them. Listen to them. Read their signs. These are people who revel in collective, not individual action. They show no talent for independent thought. They chant their trite slogans like sheep bleating in a tightly packed flock. They carry their mass produced signs showing the mindless graffiti of the radical left. Their misguided motives have incited people to commit treason and murder. Like any herd animal, if you separate one from the flock, you will find them ripe for the intellectual kill. Separated from the collective support mechanism of the protesting mobocracy, they quickly exhibit their complete lack of knowledge and their aversion to the hated practice of logical thought. They are driven by their hatred of George W. Bush and they only care about returning to power in Washington D. C. So spare me your formulaic indignation over the "anti-American" label. It fits all too well.

Anti-American? Maybe...
by Tod Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 8:50 AM

Hey, Red Predator - perhaps I am indeed Anti-American. Let's examine the possibilities...

-- I do not believe in imperialist societies imposing their will on other countries.
-- I do not believe in countries at all. I believe in a one-world state, with no boundaries, no borders, and no fear of others on the basis of religion, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or economic standing.
-- I do not believe in conservatism/capitalism as a rational economic and political ideology.
-- I am a socialist. I believe in basic, fundamental, human rights and civil rights for all the human race, not just for a select few with the means and power to determine who gets what freedoms and who doesn't.
-- I believe in the pursuit of intellectual, not military, might. Proving you can kill more people than the other guy doesn't mean you are right. Those who are truly brave, truly powerful can achieve victory through words and wisdom, not war and wickedness.
-- Obviously, with all this said, I do not believe in flags, anthems, or any other nationalistic symbol.

So, in conclusion, if all of the above makes me un-American, than so I am. I can deal with that.

anti-american, maybe
by red predator 1 Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 9:08 AM
redpredator1@yahoo.com

tod: you're entitled to your beliefs. i'm also entitled to believe that people who have been educated in public schools since 1972 have been cheated by an insidiuos plan to make our children into little, obedient, Marxists. if you really believe what you said in your last comment, then i feel sorry for you. you have been deceived. don't take my word for it, research it yourself. when you find the truth, if you believe it, you will come to your senses. RP1

wha?
by Erin Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 10:51 AM

"that people who have been educated in public schools since 1972 have been cheated by an insidiuos plan to make our children into little, obedient, Marxists"

and thats why we're forced to say the pledge of alligience all through school (i'm in highschool now, and we still do) and thats why political leftists thoughts are frowned upon by the teachers and higher ups in faculty. And our history classes skim over those invents in history that make us look less than perfect,kids sometimes even get yelled at for brining up the mass extermination of the indians.It's hard enough to even maintain the basic right of free speech in our school newspaper. yet the public school system is making us into marxists?

Ointment
by Tod Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 12:54 PM

Does the ointment have to be topical? If so, we can discuss it rationally, right?

Hell, we need a LITTLE diversion from the seriousity (hey, sounds like a Bush-ism) of today's events.

Red Pred - if I may abreviate your name - let's have a quick review: In America today, all three branches of government have been assumed by conservatives, neoliberals, whose main objective IS to turn us all into good little marching capitalist boys and girls.

Neoliberalism itself preaches fortune for the few at the expense of the plight of the many - i.e. "survival of the fittest;" i.e. "he who dies with the most toys wins."

I don't know to which schools YOU were referring, but I know the high school I attended, way back in the dark ages (the 1980s), ingrained in my noodle the right of American expansion, our "manifest destiny" to impose our will and beliefs on all others. We were told that the American settlers were good, kind people, and that them damn Indians were the bad guys who started all the conflicts. If you believe that schools are leftist, then YOU are the one marching in lockstep.

There may be pockets of liberal thought remaining in this country, but not enough for us to have any pertinent say in the direction of our social, economic or political policy.

And, you see, Red Pred, that is what is at the HEART of the protest/peace movement. We have no outlet through which to vent - all the public institutions (government, the media) have fallen under the control of right-wingers and neoliberals. We have no voice, other than our combined individual voices.

It's easy for those whose ideals have representation in our government to feel content with present policy - it's altogether difficult for those of us who don't.

Therein lies the cruxt of the protest/peace movement. That's why we rally and march and scream. Somehow, we have to be seen and heard.

Right now, that's all we have.

Tod

You said it all Tod
by Jan Tuesday, Apr. 01, 2003 at 5:35 PM

You said it all Tod! Thanks for your well-thought out comment! I am sick and tired of being called a brainwashed liberal, when all I ever hear in schools and the media are completely opposite ideas of what I believe in. I love going to protests because its a way to get our voices heard, voices that are stopped before they can become a thought movement. That's why the police stop us.
I love to be around people who have brains and don't follow the crowd. To say that WE are the sheep is a completely ridiculous statement.

BBOOOOOOOOORRRINNG!!!!
by MAN CHOWDER Thursday, Apr. 03, 2003 at 4:38 PM

FREE REGENT SQUARE FROM THE GRASP OF THE TYRANNIC PROTESTERS. WE THE PEOPLE OF THE SQUARE SO LONG TO BE FREE TO DRIVE DOWN THE STREET AND EAT A HOT DOG AT D'S!!!
PLEASE SET US FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FIND YOUR SCREEN NAME OFFENSIVE
by Prodigal Yunzer Friday, Apr. 04, 2003 at 2:16 AM

Man Chowder indeed. What kind of sick trip are you on, boy?