Steelers Fans Unite Against War

UNITE
AGAINST WAR
Saturday
January 25
3pm

Meet at Station Square and East Carson Street on the south side

Yeah, we lost the play offs, but we can still win the fight against the war. A war that will only create more problems than it will solve. A war for oil that is coming at a high cost, and that cost is blood and mass destruction. Don’t they know the only battles fought should be on the football field. (duh!) So bring your terrible towels and join the black and gold contingent speaking out against an unjust war.

And we can also speak out against that ref…and that call…what was he thinking?

Anti-football bloc
by teamsterturtle Saturday, Jan. 18, 2003 at 5:58 PM

Fed up with senseless violence perpetrated by the U.S. and its corporate cronies? Fed up with senseless violence perpetrated by person against person...on the football field?! Join us in saying "no" to capitalist war and gratuitous football violence, which pits worker against worker. We are part of the Anti-Sports Convergence. We will be marching as a feeder to the Sunday rally at SEI, and will be joined by groups such as Pittsburgh Greens and the Left Tackles. For those of you who are really excited about this opportunity, I'm sorry to say this is a joke, although I'm not sure what to think of the Steelers bloc. I bet Jerome Bettis could bust through those wooden barricades at SEI, though.

bad idea
by John Thompson Sunday, Jan. 19, 2003 at 6:30 AM

Steelers bloc? Could people think of a worse idea? What about a bloc of Yuengling drinkers? You're trying to appeal to the average "Joe" right? Next time you want to be "creative" how about you pick something to latch onto that isn't so associated with violence and sexism.

Stillers
by branden Sunday, Jan. 19, 2003 at 1:21 PM
branden@cease.info

I really don't think being attackive and judgemental is really an effective means to pull the entire pittsburgh community together. If steelers fans are against the war why stop them? Promoting anarchism is not going to get the "average joe" thinking about social issues, and suggesting that people who march against the war should be cool enough to not like sports and be sports fans is just exclusionary. Just think of how difficult it must be to be part of that violent and aggressive group of people and break apart with an opinion that is hotly debated and could get you enemies. Thank you steelers fans for being brave enough to stand up to your peers for what is right.

Good work!
by BradQ Sunday, Jan. 19, 2003 at 9:51 PM

Good work guys. Nothing wrong with enjoying a given sport. I'll be thrilled to see you at the parade and rally.

Come on out Stillers fans!
by pjd Monday, Jan. 20, 2003 at 9:30 AM

Good remark Branden. I'm not a football fan, Steelers or otherwise myself, but I can believe some of these remarks!

Terrible towells for peace sounds like a great idea!

At least the team isn't named for a racist sterotype of native americans like the town I came from.

BTW, I enjoy drinking Yuengling, or preferably union- made Iron City. I also eat meat. (but mostly just birds and fish) So, I guess I'm not welcome at your events either.

You're not "anarchists" you are snobs!

I'll lighten up
by pjd Monday, Jan. 20, 2003 at 3:08 PM

Ok, i'll lighten up now....

Terrible towells with black and gold peace sign still sounds like a good idea, though...

Here We Go
by FireCowher Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2003 at 2:52 PM

I don't think it's so much anarchism that is being promoted but rather sectarianism. I'll be there Saturday with my fellow Steeler fans because I am morally against murder and war, not because I am a part of a unilateral group of disestablishmentarianists. Putting down groups of people who are fighting for the same cause can only hurt the collective cause. Let's remember the goal here.

Yeah!
by The Field Goal! Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2003 at 9:14 PM

BLOW THE WHISTLE ON THE WAR MONGERS!

What's wrong with adding a little fun to the anti-war movement?
by L.B. Friday, Jan. 24, 2003 at 4:35 PM

I find nothing wrong with this idea. This is a peace convergence, not a forum to assert who is more political. I am no lover of football, but football fans can be anti-war to. The point here is that there is an illegal war about to happen/already going on and it is our duty as Americans to raise our voices against it, regardless of how we spend our Sunday afternoons.

hidden
by informatico Friday, Jan. 24, 2003 at 7:15 PM
info@indypgh.org

hid the triplicate post that was here. just so you know. up the imc admin punx.

why anarchists
by me Friday, Jan. 24, 2003 at 8:48 PM

what did any anarchists do? I didn't hear any anarchists say anything, so why are people giving anarchists shit.

steelers bloc
by coach cowher Friday, Jan. 31, 2003 at 7:04 AM

"football is sexist and violent..." cry me a river, douchebag.