Rideboard for Pittsburgh Convergence
by yuiop Saturday, Jan. 04, 2003 at 12:39 AM

Appeal to people needing or having rides to Pittsburgh's Jan 24-26th anti-war events

Ride Info: http://www.cease.info/rides Please post if you have extra space or need a ride to the convergence. It helps even if it's from Places relatively close to Pittsburgh like Greensberg-Latrobe-Indiana. If you can't find anything on the rideboard we have contact with a number of people/groups coming so feel free to email us and we'll try to give you contact info for someone close to you who's heading to the Convergence. If you're looking for cheap trains- Amtrak has weekly rail sales. Currently Philadelphia to Pittsburgh is $19 roundtrip.- POG

yes...so
by ip Saturday, Jan. 04, 2003 at 11:54 AM

that rideboard needs to be changed so that people can post without registering. I shouldn't have to give my email address in order to post a ride offer.

Anonymous posting
by Branden Monday, Jan. 06, 2003 at 9:31 PM
branden@cease.info

Thank you for all dealing with the lack of anonymous posting up until now, I know I hate signing up for sites too. It seems that sometimes the simplest solutions are the most difficult to come up with.

If you do not want to register your own account at cease.info and want to post a ride on the rideboard please login:
username: rides
password: rides

*PLEASE* leave some contact info in the post so people can get hold of you.

Great Idea, but I wish you'd start with..
by Brian Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003 at 11:11 AM

Great Idea: a rideboard. But I wish you'd establish one for the march on Washington, this Sat. Jan 18 th, which may be the last chance to stop the war BEFORE it starts. It VERY important to have as many people there as possible!

local vs. national
by branden Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003 at 12:56 PM
branden@cease.info

I think a ride board to washington would be great. There is probably one somewhere on the web. With an event of this size our resources are strapped especially when we already have other projects in our communities. I have been to two protests in D.C. already and honestly I don't think it's any more important than other local/regional protests. In fact I think local events are routinely looked as less important, while I believe they are much more important. When many people converge upon the capital only themselves and D.C. know about it other than a small blurb on the news. In our local communities we can connect with people from many walks of life and discuss what our views and concerns are about war and imperialism. From my point of view, during international ANSWR's "festival" all we did was pack D.C. and looked like a lot of people oppossed to war. As Rumsfield clearly stated, "the government will not listen to its people during times of war" (totally paraphrased). Little does he remember that the government is the people (supposedly). I believe the only way this war can stop is through massive civil disobedience i.e. not paying for the war with taxes, sit ins, destruction of property, etc. This kind of civil unrest will not occur if america just sees us on TV watching a benefit concert with Tom from Tom & Jerry's ice cream cheering us on. The people's strike was better organized and at least (hopefully) gained some legal ground for future activists concerning illegal arrest. So, I guess what I'm saying is that us going to DC will not stop the war. Please bring back to your own community all that you got from DC.

Brian
by - Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003 at 2:01 PM

Brian. I have no idea what you are talking about. The Merton Center is taking 3+ buses to DC and people without any money can probably go for free. What exactly would be the purpose of a rideboard for this area? As far as the war there is NO WAY an attack on Iraq will happen before ANSWER's demo. Please don't misrepresent things.